Coach McLoughlin Lifts Athletes to the Next Level

With the start of another school year, homework and tests aren’t the only thing students have to look forward to. A fresh season of athletics—from Friday night lights to Saturday morning meets—is bound to make any student athlete giddy with excitement and motivation. But how can athletes channel these emotions most beneficially into their athletic performance? And what can athletes do to make this their best athletic year yet?

After attending the National Strength and Conditioning Convention this past summer in Las Vegas, Strength and Conditioning Coach Rich McLoughlin has found some answers. The convention was run by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), the governing body for strength coaches, personal trainers, and anyone working with a client in the realm of fitness. About 200 to 400 high school strength coaches attended the conference, all of whom had to complete a certification process called the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).

“For me, I’m somebody who likes to stay on top of research and what’s going on out there all the time, but unfortunately I’m the only one down here that’s always on top of that stuff, so I’m always in my own head,” said Coach McLoughlin. “This really opened the door for me to see what other coaches are doing, talk to people from all over the country. It was cool to pick each other’s brains and bounce ideas off of each other.”

Coach McLoughlin also elaborated on the setup of the conference, as well as his individual experience with what he learned at the convention.

“Most of the day was spent at conferences,” he said. “Nothing was mind blowing, like I’d never seen it before—because I do try to stay on top of this stuff as much as I can—but if anything, it reaffirmed the things that we already do down here. I would see a talk on something that we maybe do, but maybe there’s a more effective way to do it, or a different approach to do it. I found that to be the most beneficial part.”

Additionally, Coach McLoughlin wants to take his strength training to the next level this year, putting more emphasis on certain areas besides only physical athleticism.

“Not only am I developing athletes, but also young men and women at the same time,” he said.

“One thing that I really want to focus on this year is the message I’m getting across to all our athletes, and really anyone who steps down into the weight room. It’s not only about what we can do out on the field, on the court, in the pool, on the ice, all those things—but what are we doing outside of it?”

Some of these outside factors, such as nutrition and proper sleep, are little aspects of an athlete that can make all the difference. Coach McLoughlin also wants to place a bigger emphasis on the character and integrity of his athletes.

“What are we doing outside of here in our hallways?” he said. “Are we holding doors open for people? Are we being kind to each other? Because I think all those things put together—and then you add in the physical aspect of what we do down here in the weight room—really sticks to who we are as the Viatorian community.”

With new knowledge and a mature sense of drive, Coach McLoughlin undoubtedly has as much enthusiasm and motivation as Viator’s student athletes to continue excelling throughout this year’s fall, winter, and spring sports seasons. He said it best:

“There shouldn’t be any reason that we aren’t winning a state championship every season. That’s where we need to be at St. Viator.”