Multiple sport athletes may have an upper hand in school

Art by Dana Lenard

One of the greatest feats that a high school student can achieve is playing multiple sports. Although it is such a rare phenomenon, it is quite common at Saint Viator. Considering that almost every sport has practice every day for at least an hour and a half, it is hard not only to keep up with academic-related issues, including homework and studying, but also to eat right and stretch, two vital chores to keep a body in its best performance.

While some athletes do sports only to compete, senior Drew Morton offers another perspective on sports.

“It’s fun,” Morton said. “Two sports keep you busy, although you only get a short break.”

Morton has been a two-sport athlete since freshman year, participating in cross country and track. Other athletes also said that sports help students get involved, meet new friends and partake in the Viator community. These multi-sport athletes said that the hardest part of competing in many sports is managing their time. Although these words may seem overblown because teachers, parents and coaches frequently use them, when it comes to being an athlete, this simple concept becomes a true challenge.

“It is [difficult to manage your time], because you have to find balance to be able to do your homework, stay in shape and find time for a social life,” said senior John Duffy. “And the doctor recommends you get eight hours, which is hard to do.”

Duffy is also a two-sport athlete competing in track and cross country. Both of these student-athletes have been able to keep up with their sport and school work, but they admit facing doubts too.

“I will admit the thought [of quitting a sport] has crossed my mind because the practices are long and very intense,” said Morton. “It definitely would have helped having that extra time.”

At some point of every student-athlete’s high school career, the thought of quitting a sport has likely crossed his or her mind. Despite all of the negative effects that come with doing many sports, including fatigue, late nights, loads of homework and difficulties of balance between social, spiritual, mental and physical aspects of life, there always comes a positive. For example, sports get students involved and active, encourage them to make friends and be a part of a community, get them in great physical condition and possibly even provide scholarship opportunities for college. If any students are planning on playing college sports, high school sports teach them the skills—including time management and communication—that they will need. Stay focused, set goals for yourself and achieve them.