Student ministers lead liturgy

Mrs.+Devroy+and+Eleanore+Kelleher+discuss+petitions+before+Mass.+

Mary Peterson

Mrs. Devroy and Eleanore Kelleher discuss petitions before Mass.

As Christmas break nears, the whole of Saint Viator seems to be buzzing about what each person is asking for and is doing over break. However, it is especially important to remember faith at this time of year as the coming of the Savior is celebrated. The campus ministry team allows students to grow in their faith in a variety of ways, including in the December Mass.

The last all-school Mass was on Dec. 8th, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. In years prior, the school has put together an Advent Mass, but this year, the December Mass will celebrate the Holy Day of Obligation honoring the Virgin Mary.

Although Mass for a majority of students only requires sitting in the bleachers and participating in the service, campus ministry puts a lot of work into planning Mass. The prayer and ministry team within campus ministry and music ministry are responsible for organizing each service.

The planning process, which is run mostly by students, starts approximately three weeks prior to the Mass. Senior Patrick Harris and junior Mary Peterson are the core leaders of the 30-member prayer and ministry team. The team holds meetings in which 12 to 15 students contribute ideas for the theme, readings and music.

Mrs. Nancy Devroy, campus ministry co-director, said she likes how the students contribute original and creative ideas.

“Faith is more alive when students are involved,” said Mrs. Devroy.

Once the theme is decided and the readings are chosen, students on the team can take an online survey if they wish to be involved in the Mass. Harris and Peterson then select students with the goal to have different people involved in each Mass. Students from the prayer and liturgy team also put together the slides, which are the new alternative to paper worship aids, containing the words to prayers and songs.

“It’s important for the students to have a voice in our school liturgies,” said Mrs. Devroy. “Student planning helps the Mass to be more relevant to our community.”

On the day of the Mass, the whole campus ministry team is invited to arrive about an hour early to school to set up the Mass. The team sets up the altar and about 400 chairs. They also retrieve supplies from the chapel, mark where Eucharistic ministers stand and work with ushers and Eucharistic ministers. Students involved in readings are also given the opportunity to practice before Mass.

Music ministry, led by Mr. Daniel Walls, has weekly meetings to organize the songs for each Mass. They also meet before Mass to practice the songs and solos. The choir set is set up by the maintenance crew with the assistance of Mr. Walls.

“I’m really grateful that we have a program like music ministry where we can build on our knowledge of both faith and music,” said sophomore Emily Goebel, who is in both campus ministry and music ministry.

Once the work of campus ministry team and music ministry is complete, the groups have created a unique service that helps the community to deepen its faith.

“Mass here is like you’re giving a huge party,” said Mrs. Devroy.