Lions lead in race to NCAA

Several senior athletes consider their options as Division I offers pour in

Collegiate athletics remain a pinnacle of athletics achievement, second to only professional levels. The competitive environment, combined with numerous benefits such as scholarships and fame, make being a college athlete seem like something only dreams could produce. While the process to gain the attention of college recruiters is difficult, the amount of work and talent needed to impress mounts an even larger challenge. Yet despite these barriers, the Class of ‘23 has impressed, with multiple student athletes preparing to make the jump to college athletics at some of the most prestigious universities in the country.
Many senior athletes possess the talent to play at collegiate level and have received offers from some schools. However, the door is open as to which schools these athletes will attend.
“I have…narrowed my choices down but… I want to find the right fit,” said senior Michael Nix, who plays football. “The biggest thing I [am] look[ing] for is the type of relationship I [can] build with the coaches and how good of a connection we can make.”
Other students raised different criteria about the schools they want to play at.
“I wanted to find a school that offered a good athletic program, nice facilities, and exceeded in the academic major that I wish to pursue,” said senior Cade Faulkner, who plans to play lacrosse at the University of Utah.
Some seniors have already stated their commitment to collegiate athletics, but the exact number has not been polled yet. However, athletic director Jason Kuffel, said that the senior class is “on par” with the typical range of “20-30 athletes” who commit to collegiate athletics.
The road to achieve the dream of playing at college level for athletics is not without struggle. The level of fame and recognition that college athletes receive is due to the level of hard work, sacrifice, and dedication needed to reach such high levels of athletics. One of the biggest struggles is self advertising to colleges.
“You have to do a lot of work on your own to get people to notice you, whether it is by yourself or with your coach,” said Mr. Kuffel.
“The other key is to determine which level you would like to play at; every athlete should establish a reach level, a comfortable level, and a level they know they can play at.”
The leap in competition is the most notable characteristic of high school to college athletics. Whether going from high school to D3 or D1 athletics, the competition level still sees a large jump.
“The expectation of college coaches doesn’t change based on which division you are going to,” said Mr. Kuffel. “They want to be the best and they want you to be working hard to be your best and that is something you have to be aware of if you are aiming for college level.”
However, senior athletes expressed that they were ready to take on the challenge.
“I’m not nervous about playing in college,” said Cade Faulkner. “I’ve put in the work to overcome the challenges to reach this level and I am ready to take on any other challenges that I face.”
For underclassmen, the time to begin preparing for college athletics and recruitment is right around the corner.
“Everything you do matters, especially early. Keep working harder than everyone else around you and the results will show,” said Cade Faulkner.
The journey to college athletics is not one that is walked alone. While personal dedication and hard work are needed, there are many tools and people that can help.
“I was able to overcome the challenges I faced by getting help from coaches and trainers…who helped push me through difficult times,” said Nix. “Coach Archibald was instrumental to my success and really helped get college recruiters looking at me.”
All thirty-two of Saint Viator’s sports teams have a similar attitude towards preparing their student athletes for the next level.
“Here at Saint Viator, we take a collegiate approach to athletics…we challenge our coaches to provide the best opportunities for their athletes, both athletically and mentally to prepare athletes for college level,” said Mr. Kuffel. “We also strive to provide as many of the top-notch facilities as we can to prepare athletes for college.”
The path to collegiate success in athletics may be difficult to travel, but it has the foundations set in place. The senior class of 2023 proves that no matter how challenging the path, success can be found through hard work, dedication, and the outreach to those who will support you along the way.