Faith-filled field trip across America

Mr. Wulbert plans first D.C. March for Life trip in school history

For the first time ever, students from Saint Viator will be traveling to Washington D.C. to partake in the March for Life in January 2022.

“I am thrilled to go to Washington DC and promote the life of others,” said junior Hugo Freund, a Respect Life Club member and participant of this upcoming trip.

The March for Life falls on the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision. The protest not only addresses abortion, but it also presents opposition to all issues that disregard the sanctity of life at all stages, from conception to natural death. Thousands of people join the March every year from all over the United States.

“It drives at the very heart of who we are: humans are made in the image of God, which grants us inherent dignity,” said club moderator and theology teacher Mr. Zach Wulbert reflecting on the importance of the March for Life stance.

Fourteen students will be traveling to DC for the protest, along with three faculty chaperones. Although the rally is the main event of the trip, the students will also be participating in different masses and touring various monuments, memorials, and museums. The cited purpose of this rally is to promote the life and dignity of everyone.

“Upholding the life and dignity of each person should be at the center of everything we do,” said Wulbert. “The March for Life shows that we, the people, desire a nation built on the promotion of life, rather than a culture of death.”

COVID-19 has caused some problems within the trip. It was originally scheduled to take place last year, but it was delayed. Additionally, there have been questions regarding quarantining students and vaccination status.

“Saint Viator has worked hard to put together a plan for all trips, including this one, which allows students to gain valuable experiences while also taking special concern of the health and safety of each person,” said Mr. Wulbert.

“The trip will be an amazing experience to gain knowledge and partake in something that makes a difference,” said Freund, best encapsulating the drive of the movement as a whole.