Haunted halls

Student council decks school in spooky decor, students dress down in spirit

Art by Erin Cavender

The rescheduling of this year’s Homecoming dance and football game has opened a door to the school’s very first “Halloween Spirit Week.”

“Think of this as Homecoming, but for Halloween”, says Ryan Regan, junior Student Council Class President, “It will be a blast as well as a great alternative.”

Comprised of ghoulish events and activities, it was surely be a scream. Each day of the week contained a specific theme correlating with a student’s choice of Spirit wear.

Tuesday, a USA theme allowed students to dress up in patriotic attire as well as jeans and sweatpants. Wednesday was designated to class colors, allowing each grade to support their class with a certain color. On Thursday, juniors and sophomores remained in the building, wearing normal uniforms, while Freshmen attend a retreat, wearing spirit wear. Friday, Halloween Eve, students wore any Halloween attire they desired, ranging from a simple pumpkin t-shirt, or an elaborate costume. Students could also wear the Halloween Spirit t-shirt any day they choose.

“Listening to the members of the student council collaborate and laugh together was such a wonderful surprise. This activity turned out to be filled with so much joy because the factors of COVID have made things so different”, says coordinator of student activities Mrs. Anne Marie Lowery.

In addition to a calendar of dress themes, the school delved deep into the creepy atmosphere as the halls were decked out in spooky decorations and announcement speakers played Halloween tunes during passing periods.

“It’s exciting to see a break in the monotony from the intense start of this school year, it’s nice for everyone to relax and have a celebration for a change”, says Mrs. Lowery.

Many fellow students shared in the same feeling as Garcia that the week was surely all treat, no trick.

“It was a really fun and festive time. I loved how so many kids participated in the themed dress down days”, says Freshman Meredith Garcia.