It pays dividends to have a job

Do you have a job? Many students at Saint Viator have jobs outside of school. Maybe you’re one of them! A Google Form was sent out asking students whether they had a job, and if so, what they do for work. Out of the 51 students that took the survey, 37 said that they have a job. Out of those working, 10 work a job in recreation, such as coaching, refereeing or lifeguarding. Other than recreation, seven students work at a restaurant, four babysit and three work retail. Additional jobs mentioned included tutoring, working at a concession stand and working at a grocery store. Along with the survey, a few students were asked about their jobs.

Junior Gabriella Papeo
Q: Where do you work?
A: “I work at an optical shop in downtown Chicago as a frame stylist.”
Q: What does your job entail?
A: “I work every Saturday from eight to three p.m. and make $10 an hour. Occasionally, I get called in to work on files on weekday nights, but not often. I don’t have a specific title or job, but I do whatever is asked of me or needed from me. I also manage all of the shop’s social media pages and market the deals and offers the shop has whenever needed. I answer phone calls and make appointments. When the other opticians are busy, I help them find frames that suit their facial structures and take measurements for the frames.”
Q: How did you get your job?
A: “My mom owns the shop, so I got the job from her and have been working there doing whatever I can to help her out for years.”
Q: What’s your least favorite part of having a job?
A: “The worst part is working with stubborn customers. Personally, I have a very low level of patience and people always have something to complain about, no matter how inexpensive the glasses or contacts are or how well they can see in them.”
Q: What is one thing your job has taught you?
A: “I learned how to be more accommodating towards people and how to multitask without making any mistakes.”

Freshman Briana Judd
Q: Where do you work?
A: “I caddy every day over the summer.”
Q: What does your job entail?
A: “During your first year, you basically just sit around for hours trying to get a loop, but most days you don’t get to.”
Q: How did you get your job?
A: “The only thing you need to do is apply for the job and then do three weeks of training.”
A: “I learned that you can’t just get handed money. I mean you can, but when you earn it, it means a whole lot more.”

Junior Matthew Onischuk
Q: Where do you work?
A: “I worked at my lake house four days a week.”
Q: How did you get your job?
A: “I got the job by a recommendation from my friend and applying.”
A: “The worst thing is that it’s time consuming.”
A: “It is very important to have a good work ethic, and it feels good to work for things in your life rather than be handed them.”

Sophomore Julia Domagala
Q: Where do you work?
A: “I referee volleyball games for little kids with the Arlington Heights Park District.”
Q: What does your job entail?
A: “Every Sunday, I go and referee two or three games, and before the games I help out with practices with the parent volunteer coaches.”
Q: How did you get your job?
A: “I did a volleyball clinic with my boss, and after the clinic she asked us if we wanted to help out, so I decided to.”
A: “My least favorite part is when I’m put in stressful situations.”
A: “I really like getting to work with younger kids, because I really wasn’t exposed to that before.”

One thing stuck out throughout most of the students’ responses: the fact that they all enjoy earning their own money, rather than being handed it. It goes to show that working hard not only pays off, but it feels good as well!

• Photo by RJ Gamble

• Photo courtesy of Grace Walker