Tips and tricks for flustered freshmen

6 things every high school newbie should know ASAP

Welcome Class of 2023! I hope you are excited to be at Saint Viator this year. Freshman year can be worrisome at first, but with the right advice you will be sure to grow and thrive. Here are some tips for freshman year:

1. Time management is extremely important. As the year goes on, you will be getting more and more homework. It will be manageable. When doing your homework it is best if you turn your phone off or on do not disturb. Find a quiet space where you can focus. Make sure you are comfortable and have everything you may need. Try not to procrastinate. With extracurriculars, it seems as if you have no time to waste. Working ahead on notes for history classes or on an assignment you know will take longer tends to be helpful.

2. Not all of the people you walk in with are going to be the people you walk out with. It is important to make friends as you go through the next few years. In high school you are going to grow and change and so will your friendships. You will find your place whether it is through sports, clubs, or classes. You will know when you are in the right place. You will probably feel like you have known them for years and that you can trust them with anything. Don’t force it though; it will come naturally.

3. Do not stress about college yet. Use freshman year to get used to high school. You probably will start thinking about colleges more in late sophomore year and junior year.

4. Homecoming is coming up soon, and you are probably wondering who you should go with. You do not need a date. In fact, most people recommend not going with a date freshman year. That does not mean you can not have a date, but it is so much fun to go with your friends. Going with a date is better sophomore, junior, and senior years when you start to know more people.

5. Keep in mind that freshman year is just as important as the rest of high school. While it is ok to have an adjustment period, it is important to get into the habit of studying and keeping your grades up. Although you may accidentally miss a homework assignment or two, try to do what you can. Homework helps you to learn the material thoroughly and increases your grades overall.

6. Study for the tests in your physical education class. They are a little more difficult than you would think. They go towards your GPA, and it could hurt your overall grade if you do not do well in a majority of them. Pay attention to your teacher because they often will tell you the test questions when they teach you about a sport.
I hope these tips will help you in your freshman year. We are very excited to have you at Saint Viator. Go Lions!