Viator Voice

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Elton’s still standing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Elton’s still standing

OOF I NEED SLEEP

OOF I NEED SLEEP

Art by Kayla Johnson

OOF I NEED SLEEP

Art by Kayla Johnson

Art by Kayla Johnson

OOF I NEED SLEEP

On the heels of the most successful music biopic in history, ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ a new music biopic is set to be released in late May. The topic is Elton John, the fourth most successful musician of all time. The legend, usually clad in sparkly Gucci suits and big sunglasses, will be featured in the highlights of his career, such as playing at Dodgers Stadium and his first performance at the Troubadour.

‘Rocketman’ is based on the “true fantasy” of the ‘Bennie and the Jets’ singer, who struggled with a drug addiction and depression during the height of his career. It includes the story of Bernie Taupin, John’s longtime songwriting partner (played by Jamie Bell), and how two seventeen year old boys from England managed to change music history forever. The singer is portrayed by Taron Egerton, who rose to fame by playing a character who saves Elton John in ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle.’ Unlike Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody, Egerton lends his voice to the film, covering all of Elton’s famous hits, such as ‘Your Song’ and ‘Crocodile Rock.’

Though ‘Rocketman’ will likely follow some of the steps that ‘BoRhap’ took in telling the singer’s story, ‘Rocketman’ will delve deeper into Elton’s personal demons. The Queen biopic received harsh criticism from reviewers and fans, who thought the film did not do Freddie Mercury justice in portraying his promiscuous lifestyle, as well as his AIDS story. ‘Rocketman’ does not seem to be that type of film. Since Elton himself produced the movie, he will be able to tell his own story honestly. This means showing the ugly side of his super stardom, which was laced with drugs, one-night stands, and bulimia.

The likely success of ‘Rocketman’ will encourage studios to release more music biopics. ‘BoRhap’ proved this to be true, and a Beatles-inspired movie, called ‘Yesterday,’ is set to be released at the end of the year. ‘Rocketman’ could also bring Oscar wins like ‘BoRhap’ did. The Queen biopic won four Academy Awards, and it took home numerous other awards, such as Golden Globes and BAFTAs.

‘Rocketman’ is slated for release on May 31 in cinemas nationwide. The film will no doubt be a success, as it wraps up a career spanning fifty-seven years. As Elton prepares to say goodbye to the Yellow Brick Road one final time, fans can see his career from his humble beginnings as a young boy in England to a superstar performing to millions.

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

Worth every ‘penne’

• Entertainment

Jig is up: Irish dancers shine at world championships

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

Billie Eilish finds her sound on first album

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

MARINA learns ‘how to be a heartbreaker’ on ‘Love + Fear’

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

Irish I was Italian

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

Brie Larson gives ‘marvel’-ous performance

• Entertainment

Movie remakes don’t bring same charm

• Entertainment

‘BoRhap,’ ‘Roma’ expected to win big at Oscars

• Elton’s still standing

Entertainment

Chicago Japanese food scene on a roll

• Entertainment

Primetime TV fails to win over younger audiences

The student news site of Saint Viator High School
Elton’s still standing