Musical behind the scenes: Patrons of the Arts

Parents support Fine Arts program to help students pursue their dreams

• Emily Goebel, senior, has participated in musical, play, and choir. Her mother participates in Patrons of the Arts.

• The Patrons of the Arts have raised money for many parts of the theater, including lighting, a piano, band and choir uniforms, and sound shells.

Whether you’re the next Monet or an aspiring Van Gogh, the Patrons of the Arts are a group of parents that support the development of the school’s many creative outlets, including all the Fine Arts curricular and non-curricular programs for theater, choir, band and visual arts.

“It means a lot to have my mom a part of the Patrons,” said senior Erin Daugherty. “She encourages me to participate in multiple activities, such as musical and choir, and help younger students get involved.”

“Having my mom in Patrons of the Arts allows her to get involved in the things I like doing, such as my four choirs, musical, and play. She gets to see the progress we are making during class time and rehearsals,” said senior Emily Goebel.

Annual membership into this artsy faction comes with a thirty dollar donation, harmonious monthly meetings, and a love for embracing creativity. Patrons support the Fine Arts programs through fundraising, hospitality, and volunteer opportunities at the fine arts events throughout the year.

“While sports and academics are assets to the community, being a part of Patrons gives parents the opportunity to be involved with the arts,” said Daugherty.

Fundraising is orchestrated by the Patrons to better the programs for the students and to provide the opportunity for Fine Art scholarships. The Patrons help fund certain needs of the fine arts programs outside of their department budgets; recent funding went to lighting for the theater, the harmonic melody of a new piano, a snappy music library filing system, stylish new band and choir uniforms, and sound shells for better acoustics.

“Patrons of the Arts helps draw a greater focus to the arts that are often times overlooked,” said Goebel.

The Spring Fling, an annual event put on by the Patrons in April, also helps to raise funds. Additionally, in conjunction with the musical, the Patrons will be hosting a spiffy character meet and greet luncheon on Saturday February, 22nd to introduce families and students to the magical characters of the Wizard of Oz.

“My daughter, Emily, has been involved in Fine Arts programs and activities throughout her years at St. Viator,” said Choral liaison Sofie Goebel. “I have gotten to know other parents and faculty involved in the Fine Arts programs by being actively involved with the Patrons. We have a good, cooperative camaraderie with everyone willing to help and volunteer when needed.”

“By joining families and building community, we receive fine art event reminders and notifications of opportunities to help,” said Suzy Daugherty, President of the Patrons of the Arts.

Therefore, whether you find yourself tapping your toes to a rhythmic beat, singing along to a harmonic tune, or painting away on a masterpiece canvas, you can be sure that the Patrons will support all of your artistic endeavors one note, one paint stroke, and one musical bridge at a time.