Student Council hosts spooktacular Halloween Fun Fair

Photo by Crystal Schuster

Students greet trick-or-treeters at Halloween Fun Fair.

What better way to celebrate spooky season than with a little fun… and fair(ies)? The Halloween Fun Fair was bustling with shining tiaras and glistening wings, little want-to- (bumble) bees flying to and fro, Elmo look-a-likes, and future princesses casting their magic over Cahill gymnasium. The Fair was held on Monday October 29 from 5-7 pm and was packed with trick, and especially treats, galore. The cost for each costume connoisseur was five dollars, and it featured an enchanting mini juice box station to refill all the Halloween wishes of all those brave enough to indulge in the spine tingling taste of apple juice. Pumpkin shaped pretzels and candy of all flavors topped off the sweet treats given to eagerly-waiting, swashbuckling pirates, and grinning munchkins dressed as their favorite fluffy animals. The event was run by the spook-tacular student council members, where they could be seen dressing up in their own spirited ensembles. Each grade level of student council was responsible for carrying out five thrilling games. Around sixty students decorated the gym with fun festivities for the whole family: twenty ghoulish games lined the outer walk of the gym, combined with a festive cake walk, inflatable bouncy houses for all the candy-loving kiddies, football station for the fang-tastic aspiring fanatics, and pin the monster eye for the menacing minis adventurous enough to take a stab at it. When kiddos weren’t stuffing their tummies with goodies of all shapes and sizes, they could be found crafting haunted spectacles at the arts and crafts station.

The Halloween Fun Fair has been a beloved frightful celebration and “a way for students to give back to the community by inviting children and families to have fun during the Halloween season,” says Mrs. Ann Perez.

“The event is beneficial because it lets parents know what the school is like and see the community that student council represents… and have fun of course!” Says senior William Hartman.

Many families add the Fun Fair onto the list of festivities for their fall outings and look forward to socializing with other family festival favorites.

“The event is a good attraction for the school and it’s really nice to see a lot of the kids I babysit here having a good time,” says senior MaryBeth Hansen.

“It’s a fun way for kids of all ages to have a safe Halloween experience, while exposing neighborhood families to the Viator community,” says Mrs Lowery.

Faculty and staff may even be seen trailing behind tiny dancing Disney characters and metropolitan-saving superheroes, as many of them often bring their kids, grandkids, or other family members to the school to take part in the activities.

“It’s a fun way to get the kids involved with some of the students we teach,” says Mrs. Perez.

The Fun Fair even brings out students’ inner trick-or-treat loving kid!
“It’s fun to see the joy on the kids’ faces from winning games and earning prizes,” says senior Nicole Durso.

“I would recommend going to the fair, because as high schoolers we make the kids feel good about their costumes and it’s always a fun time to interact with them,” says Will Hartman.

So, whether you’re a treat-loving tot, spooky holiday enthusiast or pumpkin-loving parent, the Halloween fun fair has something for everyone, especially candy… lots and lots of candy!

Happy Halloween!