An unending quest—Ms. Egan returning to Boston

Mrs. Nancy Devroy

Students wished Ms. Egan good luck in Boston with a surprise going away party.

From Justice League to Quest Retreats, Ms. Emily Egan has always brought her influence wherever she goes. She has helped students fit in, provided service opportunities, and has been the person that students can talk to about their feelings. After five years of being the “salt and light” of Saint Viator community, Ms. Egan decided to return to her hometown, Boston.

“She will definitely be missed by many students. Whether they worked with her directly or indirectly, Ms. Egan impacted a lot of us,” said senior Christine Helenick, one of the Campus Ministry Core Team leaders.

Indeed, Ms. Egan has helped Justice League grow and exert its impact to the fullest. One of Ms. Egan’s favorite memories of the school is working with the club members. She enjoys seeing the students becoming empowered to advocate for issues that they are passionate about, and attributes everything to the students.

“On our very first Trivia Night, there were about fifteen people,” said Ms. Egan. “Four years later, there were more than four hundred people—all because the students have worked so hard there.”

“I am sad to see her go, because she has done so many wonderful things for our school. She’s really a selfless person, doing so many things for not only people in this school but also for people who need it around the world,” said senior Madison Walker.

Aside from moderating Justice League, Ms. Egan is someone that reaches out to students on a daily basis. She helps students grow both spiritually and socially. She says that she enjoys interacting with students.

“I love talking with them in Campus Ministry. I love spending time with them in the retreats. I love going on service opportunities with students. Sometimes even just simply asking them how they are doing makes my day. Students make me laugh. I will miss the students a lot,” Ms. Egan said, without any hesitation.

“She has been such an integral part of my Viator experience and it is so strange to see her leave. She is someone that I could always go to whenever I needed to talk. She demonstrated to me as well as to everyone in our community what it means to have an unshakable faith and a selfless heart,” said senior Amalia Sordo Palacios. “She is always cheerful and has taught me a lot about social justice issues in our world. She truly made Saint Viator a great place to be, and I am so grateful that I got to meet her through the Justice League.”

“We are just very sad to see her leave because she has helped us a lot. She is very patient and kind. When we were going to the Student Day, she drove us there. It was super fun riding with her, as we talked and bonded on the way,” added senior Hanger Yang, an international exchange student from China. “I just want to continue seeing her every day and talking to her. I think I will miss that a lot after she is gone.”

In terms of retreats, Ms. Egan has led multiple Quest Retreats . Students describe the experience as fun and meaningful. But Ms. Egan’s quest does not end with leaving Saint Viator Quest retreats.

“I have the same aspiration moving forward, which is to act justly, love mercy, and walk with God. As long as I am doing that, I am following my aspiration,” said Ms. Egan.

She will continue being a campus minister at Boston College.

“As my husband was finishing up his PhD, an opportunity for him arose in the Boston area. Also, in addition, both of our families are located near Boston. So in a sense, I will be returning home.”

Summing up her experience using only one word, Ms. Egan chooses “joyful”. She is grateful for meeting the students in Saint Viator and sharing part of their lives.

“Happiness to me can be superficial, like some days you feel happy and some days you don’t; some days things are going well and some days they are not. But joy is when you know you are doing what you are supposed to be doing,” said Ms. Egan. “Even when bad things happen, I still know that I am in this right place with the right people. I guess that is how I feel about Saint Viator—I will always know these past four years at Saint Viator is time well-spent.”