Growing, changing clubs over years

While ski club no longer exists, newspaper, language clubs withstand test of time.

Boys participate in a ski club outing during the 1987-88 school year.

When the Viatome came out with its first issue in 1965, the clubs and activities at Saint Viator were much different. As the years went by, some clubs fell out of favor, and new clubs and activities were created in tune with current students’ interests.

The clubs at Saint Viator are a vital part of student life and have mirrored the changes that the school and students have undergone over the years.

Although the majority of clubs in existence in 1965 have fallen by the wayside, clubs that are still in existence today include student council, National Honors Society and the Viator Voice.  Many of the clubs also reflected life in the 1960’s. During the early years of the 60’s a huge event was taking place in the Catholic Church: Vatican II, which was a council of church leaders set on confronting the Church’s differences with the modern world. This was shown through a club like Sodality, which was dedicated to daily prayer, conferences with a spiritual director and regular meetings to discuss problems facing the modern Catholic. Other activities that expressed this more pious lifestyle were the Mass servers and lectors, groups who served and read at the Masses. There were more secular clubs as well like bowling club, library assistants and Letterman’s Club.

The 1987-88 school year saw the first year of Orchesis and the newspaper’s transition from the original name Lion Lector to the new name Viator Voice. Other clubs that had come into existence since 1965 included Art League, German, French and Spanish Clubs and ski club. German Club was dissolved when the option to study German was taken away. As for ski club, it disbanded only a few years ago.

By the 1999-2000 school year, the activities began to closely resemble the clubs Viator has currently. Ambassadors Club, Math Club, Students Against Destructive Decision (SADD) Club, Peer Mediation, Scholastic Bowl and Science Club are all clubs that still function today. Other popular clubs in 2000 included Students Against Cancer, Outdoor Adventure Club and Good Morning St. Viator—a club that broadcast a morning news show to the student body—which are all unfortunately gone now.

Current students, previously unaware of the existence of these clubs, would participate if the clubs were around today.

“I would join ski club and Outdoor Adventure Club,” said senior Jeremy Yoder.

Though many of the clubs from the past no longer exist, there are some modern equivalents students can join. Any student interested in Sodality would find a great place in Campus Ministry, which sets up school liturgies among other things.

“Campus Ministry is more fun and chill than some other clubs,” said senior Laura Kuper. “They should restart the bowling club.”

For those who would have found Art League a good fit, there is Anime Club and Film-Making Club, and those intrigued by the Outdoor Adventure Club may enjoy the Recycling and Environmental Corps. If none of these seem of interest though, students always have the option of creating a new club.