Hello my name is… Fr. Bolser

What could be better than being part of a community that prepared you for life and gave you some of the best experiences? How about coming back to that community that gave you that life? That’s exactly what Fr. Charles Bolser did. He was the President at Saint Viator for twelve years from 1986-1998, during which his first year was the last year Saint Viator was an all boys school; the 1986-1987 school year, Saint Viator was planning to merge with Sacred Heart of Mary in Rolling Meadows to create a co-education school.

Fr. Bolser describes his role at the time in “laying the foundation for new growth in the joining community.”

He then goes on to describe how, during his last year as a President, the “class of 1998 and [he] both graduated together.” However, retirement did not go as planned, and Fr. Bolser found himself wanting to continue his role and service in the Viatorian community.

“I had a very good experience, getting to know the people in this community very well, and I didn’t want to spend retirement doing nothing. Instead I want to get involved and help where I can to share life with the community that gives life to me,” says Fr. Bolser.

Additionally, with the start of this school year, Fr. Bolser visited some religion classes and talked about his experiences and life journey, which he described as being “full of surprises.” He also discussed what it means to be a Viatorian on a journey.

His main message to students is to “dare to experience failure.”

Fr. Bolser encourages students by telling them “don’t be afraid to fail, because if you’re afraid to fail, you’re afraid to live, and failure limits your capability.”

Fr. Bolser particularly wants to help students relax and enjoy the high school journey and help them “be better than they think they are.”

“It was interesting to hear all the stories and experiences he has participated in,” said junior Kathryn Williams, who listened to Fr. Bolser in Christian Discipleship class.

You can find Fr. Bolser working in his new office located in the Academic Commons and taking part in school masses, Quest and Kairos retreats, speaking with alumni and scheduling alumni masses, serving as a chaplain for Viator sport’s team services and helping students deal with the stresses of school that they may experience.

Mostly, Fr. Bolser wants to spend his time here at Saint Viator helping students and members of the Saint Viator community realize the group they are apart of. As a result, his main message for students is to strive for the best that they can be and to recognize that it is this community that will help each other reach success and to strive for that mission together.