Students break the ice across borders

Life at Saint Viator viewed through the eyes of an international student

Art by Zoya Boskovic

You may find it odd that international students are often found sitting together in Querbes Hall, and in the commons. Recently, I saw a post on website, an Australian asked a question about why international students, especially Chinese students, don’t like to make friends with local students. This issue seems very interesting to students both international and local.

A large number of American students think that Chinese students sit together and talk in Chinese and say nasty things about other students behind their back. In reality, they do not. They share their experiences about studying and games they play, or their host family. A friend of mine told me that it is hard to make American friends, even after living in the U.S for two years. I don’t agree with her opinion. I believe it’s easy if you are willing to be friends and branch out of your comfort zone.

From my point of view, the reason international students hardly join our school society is due to diverse cultures. Many are hesitant to speak English in front of a native speaker.

In Ruth Benedict’s Patterns of Culture, the author said, “The life story of the individual is first and foremost an accommodation to the patterns and standards traditionally handed down in his family. From the moment of his birth, the customs into which he is born shape his experience and behaviors. By the time he can talk, he is the little creature of his culture, and by the time he is grown and able to take part in its activities.

Being an international student is a gift as well as a challenge. It is a brand new way to live. In spirit of seeking common ground while reserving differences both international students and American students should be more open minded. Try to make friends with others in this way, you may discover you know more from each other as well as culture, which can do nothing but help you out in the long run.