Local group tests cardiac health, teens heartly know their risk

Art by Joanne Jun

The heart wants what the hearts wants, right? Screens for Teens is a program that wants you to know about your heart. Sponsored by the Max Schweitzer Foundation, Screens for Teens provides low-cost cardiac screenings for high school students. Students receive an EKG(Electrocardiogram) to monitor heart activity.

The process of testing occurs in Boler Gym in which a series of patient beds are set up with curtains and separation for maximum privacy. Girls and boys are separated by sides, and parent volunteers administer a series of tests to the patient while they apply adhesive stick plugs to the upper chest to monitor heart rate activity. Results are then sent out to patients and their parents to notify them of any at-risk causes.

“It’s much more common than most people think for athletes to have an unknown heart problem and it is important to be monitoring that so problems do not arise for athletes during practices” said Mr. Kyle Jenkins, Physical Education teacher and Football coach.

The program originated after Max Schweitzer’s tragic passing from a hidden heart condition in 2005. The Foundation in his name aims to help at-risk patients seek treatment before it is too late and has provided over sixty three thousand tests to students in the local suburban area.

“The testing provides an affordable service and information to students and their families who might not have known there was a prior heart condition or possibility for one,” says Mrs. JoAnne Francis, Director of Student Affairs.

“It’s beneficial and important for students to be able to have a way to check if they have heart conditions, especially if you’re an athlete” says Junior Alicia Mendoza.