New Faces and Brighter Spaces Fill a Changing Campus Ministry

Campus Ministry has continually been a beloved spot of Viator students, whether used for quick talks about your day during passing periods or for a much-needed breath mint stop after lunch. Although Campus Ministry’s scene may be changing, it still holds a special value that no renovation or change could bury. Now, it simply contains a larger office space and some somewhat new faces.

The most drastic change to Campus Ministry this year, aside from its freshly renovated interior, is that Ms. Egan has taken on a role within the office rather than as a teacher.

“The biggest change is that the Service Office is now part of Campus Ministry, so one thing I’m doing is that I’m the minister for the sophomore class,” Ms. Egan said, explaining the different parts of her recent job change. “I answer any questions they have and connect them with service opportunities.”

She also briefly mentioned some of the other activities she will plan and oversee as the year goes on.

“I’ll be leading retreats like Quest, Kairos, and the Urban Immersion retreat, which is more service-based,” said Ms. Egan. “I’m also going to be in charge of Loaves and Fishes, and we’re changing to monthly to raise awareness for the Viatorian charism.”

Additionally, Ms. Egan is putting her own spin on ideas for furthering Campus Ministry’s faith-enriching efforts.

“I want to create a monthly faith sharing, like the first Tuesday of every month, and you could have lunch in Campus Ministry and talk about how your lived experience might or might not connect to faith,” said Ms. Egan. “For example, sharing where you find joy, or where you’re struggling right now.”

She shed light on the difficulties of the job as well, which she will have to adjust to as the year begins.

“My biggest challenge is that being a teacher you get to see your students ever single day, so I really knew who everyone in class was and at least kind of knew their personality depending on how open they were” said Ms. Egan.

“I’d say that’s the biggest change—how I’m going to get to know people who I haven’t met in class yet,” Ms. Egan explained.

Ms. Egan also shared that Campus Ministry has brought a few surprises within her first days on the job.

“What’s surprising a little bit,” she said, “is how much students love to come in and just chat—just be present and talk and be comfortable—which is something that was so hard to do as a teacher because you only have a minute between classes.”

Campus Ministry may be changing, but Ms. Egan demonstrates that she is willing and able to make this a positive change by the way she lives.

“With Campus Ministry, the agenda is your life, your experience,” she said.