Summer college work heats up

Common App crusade causes summer blues

Eunbee Lee

Summer homework and college prep is cutting into valuable vacation time.

Junior year is in its final stretch, and that means that the long anticipated senior year is just within reach. The goal is only 2 months away, a.k.a. summer vacation. Over the summer, ‘senioritis’ is going to transfer from the incoming college freshmen to the rising seniors, but the nostalgia of the past 3 years of high school is soon to follow. There is a big hurdle awaiting the rising junior class: college applications.

It is encouraged that students begin working on the applications once they become available on the Common Application. But should the burden of college applications be placed upon rising seniors over the summer, or should they enjoy their last summer vacation of high school before they begin packing for college? Students work indefatigably 10 months a year doing homework, writing essays and completing projects; we deserve the 2 allotted months for recuperation for the next school year. Summer homework is also to be taken into account when considering the lack of free time students have over the summer. Class work for the summer could take hours to complete. The pressure of completing college applications for juniors is even more time spent behind a desk instead of being outside, relaxing or enjoying time with family and friends. The combination of summer work and college applications takes up a majority of the summer for juniors, leaving little time for enjoying the weather or going on vacation.

It is arguable that students should complete applications over the summer to keep on top of school work during the beginning of the year so that colleges see outstanding grades. The only problem is students are master procrastinators. Even if they are strongly advised to complete applications during the off months, most are going to wait until a week before the essays are due to complete them.

A more reasonable solution to stressing students with the applications that will determine their future is lightening homework loads for the beginning of the school year. Senior teachers, knowing that the new seniors have fast approaching application deadlines, should lighten homework loads to accommodate time for the seniors to finish college essays and maintain noteworthy grades for colleges. Stressing juniors over the summer with college applications is only going to eat up time over the summer that they worked for 10 months to have. College applications take up a large part of the last summer of high school for rising seniors , and if graduating isn’t sad enough, not having a summer is devastating.