Quest embarks on after-school adventure

Photo by Clare Dowd

Students eat in Querbes Hall.

No need to be hungry after school anymore! Querbes Hall is open for 30 minutes after school Monday through Thursday unless there is an event scheduled. Food items include beverages, snacks, cookies, candy, wraps, sandwiches and salads. The menu remains the same but is working to add some new options, including hot sandwiches, pizza puffs and other meal items. The idea of remaining open after school in addition to lunch periods was first discussed with the administration last year. During food committee meetings, students expressed an interest in having a food option available to them after school. When talking with Mr. Sean Carolan, the head of Quest food service, he described that they immediately saw the benefits of offering these services after implementing them but have seen a decline since returning to school from the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. However, they expect sales to pick up quickly again soon, especially with students staying after school for activities and sports.

“I think it is very beneficial that the school now offers this option, especially for those students who take part in after school activities, rehearsals and sports so that they can put forth their best effort without an empty stomach,” said sophomore Colleen McMahon.

Quest food services are also available to students before school as well. The cafeteria is open at 7:00 a.m., remains open until homeroom, and then re-opens at the lunch periods and after school. Students can choose from sausage, bacon, English muffins, bagels, pancakes, oatmeal, French toast, sweet rolls and doughnuts as part of their breakfast meal. There is a set rotation for picking the meals provided at lunch. The most popular items are specified on days: Monday with bone-in wings, Tuesday with the Lion Bowl, Wednesday with Italian Beef, Thursday with Noodle Day, and Friday with boneless wings. The middle station includes seasonal specials designed by Quest and the chef.

The main message to students from Quest food services is that they’re “not your typical food service”.

“We try to get involved with students and come up with healthy alternatives while remaining consistent with popular demands,” said Mr. Carolan. “We also worked on something special for Chinese New Year, tailoring to some of the traditional meals prepared. Quest uses fresh homegrown products and has even reduced food prices to benefit students.”