The student news site of Saint Viator High School

Viator Voice

Filed under Sports

National Signing Day ceremony

10 athletes sign to pursue sports in college

Students+with+their+respective+parents+and+coaches+at+the+National+Signing+Day+Ceremony.+
Students with their respective parents and coaches at the National Signing Day Ceremony.

Photo by: Kendall Fundum

Photo by: Kendall Fundum

Each year, thousands of athletes across the country sign letters of intent on National Signing Day. National Signing Day at Saint Viator took place on February 1. An unexpected crowd consisting of parents, coaches, teammates and fans, gathered in Cahill Gym for the first time to celebrate the Winter Signing Ceremony. Ten exemplary students took to the spotlight and signed letters to be college bound athletes.

Out of those ten athletes, five signed letters to play Division I sports. Among these five DI athletes is four star recruit Cole Kmet. Kmet committed to continue his football career at Notre Dame University.

“I’m excited,” Cole told saintviator.com. “I know the (Notre Dame) coaches are looking to use the tight ends a lot this year, and I know (Brandon) Winbush likes to get his tight end the ball.”

Another DI recruit and football athlete Austin Ruetsche committed to play football at the Air Force Academy as a linebacker.

“Both my grandfathers served in the military, so I knew I wanted to serve,” Ruetsche told saintviator.com. “Air Force is a good fit. It’s solid educationally as well as in football.”

Two time state qualifier, Tony Valentino, signed as an Ivy League wrestler at Brown University. Valentino strives not only to be challenged on the field but also in the classroom.

“Brown is just a good fit for me, I loved the school when I visited it,” Valentino said told saintviator.com. “My goal has always been to go to a school that has a high level of academics and athletics, and being an Ivy League school, it has both.”

Elizabeth Drab is a diver and runs track. She is the school’s first individual state champion: 400 meters. Drab committed to diving at University of Connecticut.

Adeline Swiderski is a catcher on the Saint Viator softball team and committed to play softball at Oakland University.

Along with the five Division I athletes, five other student athletes signed to play sports at the Division III level.

Jonathan Moyo committed to playing soccer at Greenville College. Mo Magrath committed to playing soccer at Illinois Wesleyan. Along with these two stars, Joe Sarnello, outfielder and catcher, committed to playing baseball at Cornell College. Aryana Ziakas, goalie, committed to playing hockey at St. Mary’s University. Katie Kerrigan, middle hitter, committed to playing at Denison University

Photo by: Kendall Fundum

• Sports

Coach McLoughlin Lifts Athletes to the Next Level

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Luck of the Lions

• Sports

Captains show exemplary leadership on and off field

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Drab drives girls’ track to success

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Will the Chicago Cubs shine again?

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Just keep swimming

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Track team races into new year

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Teamwork ties team together

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Cheer and dance teams split spotlight with spirit in sports

• National Signing Day ceremony

Sports

Bulls charge toward triumphant season backed with new team

National Signing Day ceremony