Off-season workouts benefit athletes across the board

Photo by Clare Dowd

Students work out for their respective sports.

With the fall sports season coming to a close, many athletes’ off-season has just begun. Down in the weight room, before and after school, students have started training to make sure that come this spring sports season, they are stronger, faster and more agile than they were last year. One thing all of these students have in common is that they are looking to get better.

The benefits of working out in the off-season, according to Mr. Rich McLoughlin, are building up resistance and improving inefficiencies. By working in the particular areas of injury prevention, flexibility and mobility, coordination, explosion, strength, agility, speed and size, athletes can reduce he rick of injury and look forward to utilizing these fine-tuned skills in season.

Most school sports teams have scheduled times in the weight room. Besides building up strength, off-season workouts can also help build team chemistry. Going into the weight room two to three times a week, every week, for months is sure to help teams bond.

“When you go through that together with your teammates, you are all sacrificing your time, sacrificing energy, and that brings the group together,” said Mr. T.J. King girls, varsity soccer coach.

These sacrifices can lead to team chemistry and ultimately a better, more fun season for a more prepared team.

Girls soccer, one of Saint Viator’s most successful programs, started its off-season workouts four weeks ago in October. This may seem early considering the season does not officially start until March; the team is also putting in work at open gyms every Tuesday. This, in addition to the scheduled team workouts, is going to help propel the team to success during the spring soccer season.

“The earlier you start the more benefits you will see over time,” said Coach King. “You can’t just start working out a month before the season and expect results.”

With this, even if athletes start working out early, they have to keep up with it, or their progress will be lost. When so much work is put in, missing days can be detrimental to the athlete.

“One of the examples I use with most teams is to compare being the weight room to being in English class,” said Coach McLoughlin. “You can’t show up once or twice a week and expect to better yourself or your grade. The same can be said for working out in the weight room. You won’t better yourself if you decide to show up every once in awhile when you feel like it.”

It is imperative for the athlete to keep focused for the best possible outcome this upcoming season. Gains cannot be made if the effort is not put in.