Countdown to finals begins

• Art by Victoria Gorny

• Based on a poll of 51 students in four homerooms conducted during homeroom on Nov. 16, 2016. Poll is not scientific.

The conclusion of Thanksgiving break signals the beginning of finals preparation at Saint Viator. While about 52.9 percent of the 51 surveyed students have begun thinking about finals, none of them have actually started to study as of Nov. 16.

If you are worried about the upcoming fall finals, you are not alone. 58.8 percent of the students polled say they are already stressed about finals. While finals do not begin until Jan. 11, senior Autumn Ashe recommends studying for finals sooner rather than later to reduce the level of stress.

“Finals week can be stressful, especially when work begins to pile up,” said Ashe. “I try to eliminate stress by working on study guides throughout a period of time rather than cramming to review.”

The overall consensus of students polled showed that they prefer to begin studying before and during Christmas break, giving them enough time to prepare sufficiently for finals.

As for the freshmen, finals is a new and nerve-wracking experience. Freshman Grace Zimmerman expressed her concern for her first finals.

“I am worried about having one test making up a large part of my grade,” said Zimmerman. “It’s stressful!”

While freshmen finals only affect 10 percent of their overall grade, sophomores, juniors and seniors feel a heavier weight with their finals which makes up 20 percent of their grade. However, upperclassmen are more familiar with when and how to study to ensure the best possible result on their finals.

A typical cause of worries over finals is how to study. While everyone has their own unique way of studying, nearly half of the students polled recommended using either paper or electronic flashcards. Others recommend using the study guides from their teachers, reviewing past tests and quizzes and creating study groups with classmates.

Whichever way you plan to study, the best way to ensure success is to stay focused during your studies and during your test.