Diverse traditions light up holiday season

• Based on a poll of 51 students in four homerooms conducted during homeroom on Nov. 16, 2016. Poll is not scientific.

• Art by Xu Nuo

Like to bake cookies? How about decorate a Christmas tree? These are popular Christmas customs that most people participate in during the holiday season, either with their family, friends or both! A poll was conducted about the popular traditions that students engage in most during the holidays. At Saint Viator, the administration allows students to send candy grams to each other as a way to engage the student body in a fun, festive activity, but this poll explored the traditions that people take part in outside of school. The results of the poll reveal that about 90 percent of students put up Christmas decorations and a tree, most commonly with family members. Baking Christmas cookies and other baked goods also weighed in as a popular Christmas tradition for Saint Viator students. The poll results reveal that baking cookies with either just family members or both family and friends are the most popular.

“On Christmas Eve my family always bakes Christmas cookies together, which is one of my favorite traditions,” said sophomore Allison Faber.

Traveling for the holidays produced mixed  results in that the majority of students do not travel but visit nearby family. Exchanging presents is closely associated with the holidays and is indeed a popular custom for students, with around 63 percent of students exchanging gifts with both family and friends.

“I like to spend quality time with family on Christmas, exchange gifts and celebrate the holiday together,” said junior Clare Colgan.

Attending special events, including concerts, shows and Christmas displays showed varied results as well. Around 35 percent of students that took the poll go to these events with both family and friends and 29 percent do not. Therefore, this poll has helped identify what traditions are most popular at Saint Viator, but regardless of holiday activities, it is important to remember to center Christmas around faith and spending quality time with family and friends.