College apps an uphill battle for seniors

Photo by Joanne Jun

Senior Amanda Murphy works on her college applications.

The fall season for high school students is marked by football games, dances, pep rallies and spending time with friends, but for Saint Viator seniors, time passes according to a tense timeline of college application due dates. Questions of “Will I have enough time to write my college essays?” or “Did I make my colleges’ deadlines?” plague every senior hoping to get accepted into college the following year.

Saint Viator seniors label the college application process as exhausting and tedious. The many facets of students’ information that applications require—transcripts, ACT or SAT scores, teacher recommendation letters, a school report, a counselor recommendation and supplemental materials for some colleges—prove to be overwhelming at times. The Common Application, a streamlined application that colleges can see when assigned by the student, simplifies some of this, but students still need to come up with personal essays and responses to questions. Not all colleges are on the Common Application, either. Some have their own application located on their admissions website.

Many Saint Viator students apply “early action” to their favored colleges so as to receive confirmation (or denial) of their admission sometime in the winter. With the bonus of learning one’s collegiate fate earlier in the year comes the increased stress due to a more pressed deadline to submit the application, usually by Nov. 1.

“The most difficult part is starting,” said senior Isabelle Brown. “It’s something that is always looming in the back of your mind. What makes it so stressful is that there is so much emphasis put on [college applications].”

So how do students start the complicated and stressful application process designed to present themselves to anticipating colleges?

The process truly starts freshman year, as colleges look at students’ transcripts over the course of their entire high school academic career. Standardized test scores also play a part in admissions counselors’ evaluation of students. Many students take either the SAT or ACT during their junior year or at the start of their senior year.

One aspect through which students’ academic achievements are made evident to admissions officers is teacher recommendation letters. Colleges often require one or more letters of evaluation from teachers, usually from someone who taught one of the core subjects of math, social studies, science or English. Students ask teachers who know them personally and can attest to their hard work in rigorous classes.

“I picked a teacher that I’ve had more than one year and teaches the subject that applies to my major,” said senior Charlotte Aichele.

College admissions officers get their clearest understanding of students’ personalities through the writing supplements they assign to applicants. Many colleges ask one or more questions that students must answer in a 100–750 word response. Many Saint Viator students find this aspect one of the more challenging requirements to complete.

“I worry more about what the readers think of [my response] rather than what I want to say,” said Brown.

“I write a draft of an essay and revise it over and over again,” said senior Bryan Rapala.

Some students see colleges’ writing supplements as an opportunity to show their strengths as writers and to let colleges see more distinct traits that would not otherwise be reflected through the application.

“In pursuing college admissions, I try to be unique in my college essays, as stylistic choices, in many cases, increase quality of writing,” said senior Patrick Harris.

Seniors involved in numerous other activities find balancing the application process difficult in addition to schoolwork, sports, activities, family obligations and their social lives.

“College apps have occupied my entire life for the past few months,” said senior Anthony Graffia. “It’s hard to balance football, school work and college apps. There never seems to be time for everything.”

To juniors who will be participating in the college application process next year, seniors have some words of wisdom to lessen the difficulty of applying to college among schoolwork and other commitments.

“To juniors I would say definitely start early and figure out where you want to apply before Nov. 1,” said senior Caroline Mroz. “Narrow your list down as much as possible.”

“Juniors should ask teachers for recommendations early because some teachers only have a certain number of available spots,” said senior Clara Carlson. “They should also write their Common App essay during the summer so a teacher can edit it.”

Amidst the college application chaos, Saint Viator seniors are hoping their hard work over the last four years will finally pay off when admission officers see their dedication to academic and co-curricular activities. However, exhausted seniors often find themselves wishing the application process was simpler and less time consuming.

“It’s a marathon, not a sprint,” said Carlson.