An AP History Lesson

Inside the past and present of AP classes

Fourth quarter is starting up and with it comes the ominous presence of AP tests. Even if you are not taking an AP class, there is no way to avoid the impact of the final exams in May. Your friends are studying non-stop; your teachers are more stressed than usual. According to the Saint Viator website, 55% of juniors and seniors take at least one AP class, but many of us do not know much about these rigorous classes. What makes them so special, and how do they affect Saint Viator?

Saint Viator currently offers 16 Advanced Placement classes, according to the school website. These classes are sprinkled throughout the curriculum and include the sciences, math, social studies, English and foreign languages. The classes offered by Saint Viator change on a year-to-year basis. In the past, AP French was offered, but because of the lack of students, it was dropped from the curriculum. Classes also change as the College Board develops new courses. The College Board continuously evaluates its curriculum and develops classes to fit students’ needs.

“When I was in high school, there was just one level of AP mathematics and AP English,” said Assistant Principal Mrs. Mary Lee DeBelina.

Starting next year, two new AP classes will be offered to Saint Viator students: AP Statistics and AP Computer Science Principles. AP Statistics will focus on exploring data, conducting studies, analyzing probability and using statistical inference. AP Computer Science Principles will concentrate less on coding and more on uses for students’ everyday life. AP French will also be returning in the near future.

How does a new AP class get added to the Saint Viator curriculum? First, Saint Viator receives an announcement from the College Board. Discussions will take place within the affected department, and if the teachers decide to go through with the class, the teacher who will actually conduct the class needs to attend training. The College Board hosts weeklong summer workshops at colleges and universities throughout the country; there teachers congregate and attend lessons on the subject matter.

“The workshop basically teaches the teachers to teach,” said Mrs. DeBelina.

She attended a workshop when she first started teaching AP Calculus, and she enjoyed the rigorous training. A college professor taught her and her fellow educators a full year of calculus in just one week.

Just as the courses offered change, so do Saint Viator’s policies regarding AP. In the past, students were not required to take the AP test in May. Since the school instituted the AP test requirement, more students have been recognized as AP scholars. According to the school website, 77 percent of students receive a 3 or higher on the exams, which are scored from 1 to 5. If a student receives a high enough score, typically a 3 or 4, he or she may receive college credit and even have the option to opt out of the college class. This can allow the student to take more classes that relate to his or her major. Saving on tuition is just another added bonus.

The benefits of taking an AP class go beyond just saving money. The rigor of the classes mimics that of an actual college course.

“I think AP offers an opportunity for gifted students to test their abilities,” said junior Zac Jones. “They serve as our best current possible way to prepare for college classes.”

Students become accustomed to the constant challenge, and many develop time management skills that prove valuable in college and beyond.

“The AP workload has prepared me for harder classes as I go through high school and college,” said junior Holly Westerkamp. “Taking AP World History freshman year helped prepare me for the consistently harder workload as I go through high school.”

AP classes are undoubtedly difficult and stressful, but they certainly have their benefits. If given the opportunity, you may want to consider embarking on an academic challenge in one of your favorite subjects. If you already take AP classes, you may want to start reviewing for the upcoming exams and look forward to new courses.