Spring offers break from school

Art by Justin Cruz

One of the most beloved breaks by students is coming up: spring break. After the summer, spring break is the most-awaited break by students because it can mean going somewhere warm or somewhere foreign, but it also means spending more time with the family. According to the Saint Viator community, the top spring break location of all is Florida. Students from Saint Viator like Florida because they get to escape the cold—and sometimes the snow—to go somewhere warm and maybe relax in a palm tree’s shadow. Florida is the top location because it is both warm and relatively close to home, and sometimes students have relatives that they go visit when in Florida. Some students also experience camps while they are in the Sunshine State.

“I am going to Pensacola, Florida, with my Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, and I am really excited about it,” said junior Melissa Cortese.

Other students take the opportunity of having a week off from school to go visit places around the country that are not necessarily warm.

“I am going to New York City, and I am really excited to spend my spring break in the Big Apple,” said junior Audrey Alaniz.

Students eager to learn about other cultures in the world benefit from the opportunities and trips that the school’s foreign language departments have to offer.

“I’m going to China with the Chinese language program Saint Viator offers, and I’m excited to visit cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou,” said junior Bryan Rapala.

Some people would just like to spend time with their families by going on road trips. Some juniors are taking spring break as an opportunity to go and visit colleges that they could be interested in applying to next year while spending time with their families.

“I’m going on a road trip to visit colleges such as Carnegie Mellon and Ithaca with my mom,” said junior Hugh Tully.

The rest of the student body and their families may choose to go somewhere warm besides Florida, such as Mexico, South America or the Caribbean, or they may choose to visit and learn more about foreign countries—that do not necessarily have tropical climates—and their cultures. They may also choose to stay home and have fun with what the Chicago area has to offer this time of the year.

“I will stay at home for spring break and start studying for my AP tests,” said junior Eun Jung You.

Any way they decide to spend their vacation time, students always have a fun and relaxing time off from school during spring break.