Joe Schmidt tackles leadership in inspirational after-school talk

On Friday, Jan. 22, more than 400 students attended an optional assembly to hear Joe Schmidt, co-captain of the 2015 University of Notre Dame football team, talk about leadership. Mr. Bill Sanford, who acted as moderator, began by asking Schmidt about his goals when he was a child. When Schmidt was five years old, his father gave him a piece of paper and a crayon and told him to write down his goals.

I think Joe is that and more. He is such a well-rounded, intelligent, faith-filled person that he’s a great influence for any of our students seeking his type of message.

— Dean Bill Sanford

“It was ridiculous because I could barely write,” Schmidt said. “After about ten minutes though, Schmidt had a list of three goals: to go to the park with his dad, to go to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream and to someday go play football for Notre Dame.”

Falling in love with Notre Dame was unusual for a California kid.

“How I fell in love with Notre Dame at a young age I don’t really know,” said Schmidt. “I wasn’t from Chicago; I wasn’t from the suburbs. I’m from LA—USC country—so falling in love with Notre Dame was kind of different. It was something I always wanted to do. That goal that I wrote down at five ended up becoming something I crafted my life around. Every other goal that I had played into the overall theme of me wanting to go pursue that and play at the highest level at Notre Dame.”

Reflecting on his years at Notre Dame, Schmidt offered insight into leadership, his personal growth, the meaning of service and his experience of being a part of a team. Notre Dame taught Schmidt numerous lessons, but the most important skills he learned were the practical leadership skills acquired and the understanding of what it takes to lead a group of men.

Being part of a team shaped me because it taught me to think even less about myself and more of how I fit into the team dynamic.

— Joe Schmidt

Schmidt talked about five key points for successful leadership: to have clarity, to have a specific plan, to authentically care about people, to have positive energy when adversity hits and to have the ability to communicate effectively as a team.

In terms of clarity, Schmidt talked about how certain people helped him keep a clear and open mind and a positive outlook on life.

“I think constantly, having faith in God’s plan for myself, which has helped me to stay focused and positive,” said Schmidt.“I have sought out mentors and they also keep me motivated and optimistic—people like my dad or brother-in-law or some friends that are in the work force. I try to surround myself with good people.”

Schmidt’s second point was having a specific plan. He talked about how a plan has helped him in his faithful, academic and athletic journeys.

“Having a specific plan in leadership or for your life keeps you focused on the task at hand,” said Schmidt. “Instead of trying to paint a wall by throwing a bunch of paint at it, you can have a plan and consciously apply coat after coat. Having a plan helps you stay on the logarithmic path to compounding success in your life.”

Leadership also requires authentically caring about people. As a co-captain on the Notre Dame football team, Schmidt worked hard to show his teammates that he cared for them both on and off the field.

“Spend time with [your teammates],” said Schmidt. “Ask questions. Do the little things. Be kind to people. Show a legitimate interest in their life goals and dreams. Help them. You can’t fake caring.”

Good leaders also must handle adversity well. Schmidt believes the key is to maintain positive energy when adversity hits. Schmidt learned how to handle adversity through various mentors in his life.

“My Dad and family, my brother-in-law, my high school, football coach, my friends [all mentored me],” said Schmidt. “At the end of the day, it’s your life and it’s up to you to take ownership of it.”

Schmidt’s final point was the importance of communicating effectively as a team. He explained how he communicated to his teammates when he was both on and off the field.

“Communicating clearly on the football field or in the locker room has to do with clarity of where we are going or what we are doing, purpose of why we are doing whatever we are doing, and a vision of how we are getting there,” said Schmidt. “I tried to do that with every statement I made.”

Relationships with family, friends and professors are very important to Schmidt. They have helped him develop his relationship with God.

“I have tried to surround myself with good people so that just being around them helps me to see God in them and want to get closer to Him,” said Schmidt. “I think you become, in a small way, who you spend time with; so spending time with good people is incredibly important.”

Since Schmidt went to a Catholic university, service is very important to him.

“Service to me is a part of how I live my life so I would say it’s less of how it impacted me and more of how it constantly shapes me,” said Schmidt. “I’m trying to do the best I can, to positively impact as many people as possible, and that has led me down some incredibly interesting roads and given me such fulfillment and satisfaction. There is nothing quite like helping someone.”