Students ‘app’-ly new apps to learning experience

A student works on her iPad while eating lunch.

Photo by Paige Laskiewicz

Though Apple’s enticing App Store naturally draws students to download the latest game or social media app, students are also navigating their way through the countless apps to find educational resources that help them in school.

Aside from the required textbook and note-taking apps, Saint Viator students have branched out in search of new academic means on their iPads. These lesser-known apps target specific needs students may have either individually or communally.

The Khan Academy app provides more than 10,000 videos on subjects that range from science and math to history and the arts.

“Sometimes when I have difficulty understanding a concept in math, I look up a video on that topic in the Khan Academy app to explain it,” said junior Holly Westerkamp.

The math category of the app encompasses topics from early math to calculus subjects.

As student-led presentations become a popular element to every class at Saint Viator, students have been looking for easily maneuvered, innovative presentation apps. Haiku Deck allows students to create seemingly intricate presentations with ease.

“It’s a different kind of presentation tool that has many unique options to really emphasize pictures and text,” said junior Claire Williams. “Different tools for design and visual imagery make really cool presentations. I used the app a lot in my Bible class.”

Organization always seems to be an issue for students. The Trello app allows the creation of digital boards containing lists, upcoming events, projects and more. Trello can be resourceful for group projects, as it allows for multiple members to connect and share a board containing specific tasks and comment options to communicate with each other. Checklists and assignment priority options ensure organization as well as a sense of accomplishment when a task is completed.

“It’s useful for project management,” said junior Patrick Harris.

While students never go on non-educational apps during class, a school-wide favorite extracurricular game is Stop, the trivia app that tests knowledge on a variety of topics in under a minute. Friends can connect to see who thrives under the pressure of filling each of the five random categories with a word, all beginning with the same letter. Overall, the presence of self-discovered apps enhance the learning and entertainment atmosphere of technologically inclined students.