Competition shows ‘State’ of high school bands

The glitter of crashing cymbals, the thunder of rolling drums and the shimmer of trumpets can all be heard at Marian Catholic High School during the 36th annual State of the Art Catholic Band Competition on Saturday, Feb. 20. The State of the Art Competition is composed of bands from local Catholic high schools that compete for the title of Grand Champion. More than 10 schools perform and are judged on categories including tone, intonation and musicality by an esteemed panel of top band professors throughout the state of Illinois. The group with the best score wins the title of Grand Champion.

Each band director will choose the repertoire for her band off of a state-approved list. After selecting the repertoire, the band will be placed in a corresponding class specific to the pieces chosen. Most groups will choose to perform a march and one additional piece.

Saint Viator has been involved in hosting and competing in this competition for many years. Saint Viator hosted the event in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Last year, at Marian Catholic High School, Saint Viator took home its first win as Grand Champion under the direction of Mr. Vince Genualdi. This year both Concert Band and Symphonic Band will be performing under the continued direction of Mr. Genualdi, with the Symphonic Band performing as the Honor Band.

“State of the Art is definitely a great challenge to look forward to every year for a band student,” said junior Matthew Fecko, a tuba player.

The members of the Saint Viator bands show great dedication during the weeks preparing for their performance, and whether or not they go on to win the title, they can all take away a good experience playing in front of a live audience and receiving feedback on their performance.

The State of the Art Band Competition offers students the opportunity to show off their musical talent while partaking in a local competition.

“It is important for our program to be an active participant in the world of music,” said Mr. Genualdi. “Attending festivals is a crucial aspect of any high school band. The exposure to high-quality clinicians is a must.”

“It is always a gruesome amount of practicing, but it is always worth it at the end to be able to play for a crowd and feel accomplished after getting the score from the judges,” said Fecko.