Shadows gain high school experience

Photo by Dominic Marchica

Sophomores Madelyn Olis and Meghan Fleming pose with their shadows, Matthew Olis and Mia Knight.

Chances are that by this time of year, most of us have seen at least a couple dozen shadows roaming the halls of the school. To clarify, the term “shadow” refers to a middle school student following a Saint Viator student host around school for a school day—not the dark outline of a person cast on the pavement on a sunny day. However, depending on whether or not you have personally hosted a shadow, you may find yourself wondering what a true shadow experience actually involves.

“You start by getting an email from Coach Kuffel, and he tells you that you’re going to be hosting a shadow the next day,” said sophomore Meghan Fleming.

Shadows arrive prior to the bell in the morning, where they are welcomed into the school by faculty and receive a “Future Lion” T-shirt. Host students walk the shadow through a regular school day, during which the shadows are able to preview the life of a typical high school student. Shadows participate in classes, meet older students and practice using the iPad in an educational environment. Shadows are also gifted with a free lunch from Querbes Hall where they unknowingly begin their addiction to Sonya’s homemade cookies and the lunchroom’s prized French fries.

“I think the best part [of being a shadow] probably just was meeting new people,” said freshman Laura Yacu.
The shadow experience is a great opportunity for incoming freshman to create bonds with upperclassmen, especially for those without any siblings at Saint Viator. Shadowing also provides junior high students with information on different classes, clubs and sports available in high school.

“My experience has been a lot of fun. I’ve been able to influence the young shadows and show them what it’s like at Viator,” said Fleming.

Both the shadows and the hosts each have a lot to gain from the shadow experience. While the shadows themselves use the day to glimpse their future as a high school student, host students have the ability to bond with a younger student and reflect on their own dynamic high school experience.