Hello, my name is Fr. Lydon

Photo by Mary Peterson

Fr. Lydon teaches a freshman faith class.

The Saint Viator Community welcomed back Fr. Dan Lydon this year after his three-year leave to become a priest. Fr. Lydon teaches the freshmen Fundamentals of the Catholic Faith and finds them to be “very respectful and hardworking.”

Born on the west side of Chicago and growing up in Elk Grove Village, Fr. Lydon graduated from Saint Viator in 1973 and continued his education at Louis University and Loyola University Chicago. He earned his theology doctorate from Catholic Theological Union in Hyde Park. English was one of his favorite subjects, but he had a love for Spanish; even his favorite quote, from Teresa of Ávila, is in the language: “Entre los pucheros anda el Señor” (Jesus walks among the frowns). Before deciding to become a teacher, Fr. Lydon considered pursuing careers as a talk show host or police officer, which doesn’t come as a surprise, since his favorite TV show is “Chicago P.D.”

Fr. Lydon, who previously taught at Saint Viator while he was a religious brother, was inspired to start the process of becoming a priest after reflecting on questions of students from one of his classes in 2010 about why he was not a priest.

“There were many hurdles to jump through [during the process of becoming a priest],” said Fr. Lydon. He needed to take philosophy, theology, liturgy and preaching courses. “It was quite a few steps,” he said, but he was finally ordained a priest on June 13, 2015.

The biggest changes Fr. Lydon has noticed at Saint Viator since he started teaching in 1994 are the lack of chalkboards and overhead projectors. He praises the iPad and the resources it offers to his students.

“Things are simpler,” said Fr. Lydon. “It’s easier to use audio-visual media. It’s easier to make classes more interesting. The iPad is a great thing. If there’s a question, you can look it up right away on the iPad.”

In his spare time, Fr. Lydon enjoys taking leisurely walks and spending time with his 85-year-old mother alongside his four siblings. His weekend routine consists of preparing and saying masses. His favorite movie is “My Family,” and his favorite book is “The Confessions of Saint Augustine,” written by Saint Augustine of Hippo.

If Fr. Lydon had to chance to meet with any historical person, living or dead, he would choose Donald Trump so that he could ask him the two pressing questions, “What are you thinking?” and “What is on your head?”

Fr. Lydon’s words of advice to his students are to “study hard, aim high and be your true self.”