All students, not just Querbes scholars, put on their smarty-khakis. (Joanne Jun)
All students, not just Querbes scholars, put on their smarty-khakis.

Joanne Jun

School-wide smarts

December 9, 2016

Within the student body, there are the Querbes—those students who take part in the Father Louis Querbes Scholars program for the academically gifted—and the non-Querbes. What differences exist between the two groups, if any?

A Querbes’s take on program distinction

Sometimes, while walking through the hallways, a regular student might get the impression that he or she is not as smart as a Father Louis Querbes scholar. The truth is that being a Querbes scholar does not necessarily mean making a bigger effort in school than a “regular” student.

Being a student from both sides, I can confirm this. I was not a Querbes scholar during my first three years at Saint Viator, but that did not mean I did not study hard or make an effort to get good grades. I was enrolled in honors and AP classes during my time as a “non-Querbes scholar”. I still stayed up late at night to study for hard tests; I still focused primarily on school than other activities and I still got A’s. Like me, many other Viator students work hard to achieve academic success, even if they will not receive a Querbes scholar medal on graduation day.

Being a Querbes scholar is not a synonym of “direct entry to an Ivy League university.” A normal Viator student is just as capable of getting into the same competitive colleges as a Querbes scholar. This title of “academic excellence” does not give scholars, especially those who have held this title throughout their entire high school career, the right to be arrogant or brag about their status with other students. It certainly does not give them the right to identify themselves as better than everyone else.

The transition I have made when I became a Querbes scholar this year did not change me as a person and did not change how much time I spend on schoolwork. I still spend most of my nights studying and doing homework, and I do not do this because of the title that has been given to me during my senior year; I do it because I have big dreams and will do whatever I can to achieve them. Anyone can and should be able to follow their dreams; people do not need to be Querbes for that. Students need to understand that they do not need to be given a title to be great because, once we leave Viator, that title will no longer matter.

A non-Querbes’s take on program distinction

The title of Querbes scholar gives a person the reputation of an academically advanced individual who commits all their free time to studying. This reputation also plays onto non-Querbes scholars as not being as dedicated to their studies and filling their freetime with extracurricular activities. Though these reputations may be true in some circumstances, there are many non-Querbes scholars who spend more time than some Querbes scholars on homework and studying. I am not a Querbes scholar, but I use a significant part of my free time studying and working on homework. I am also enrolled in several AP and honors classes, and even though I am not a Querbes scholar, I plan on working my hardest to apply and enroll in prestigious colleges. In addition, I have several Querbes scholar friends who participate in several extracurricular activities and do not spend all of the rest of their time on homework. The title of Querbe scholar is one that will look nice on college applications and enable you to receive advantages at Saint Viator. However, it does not reach the full extent of students who place a lot of time and effort into their academics.

Viator Voice • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Viator Voice
$300
$300
Contributed
Our Goal