The student news site of Saint Viator High School

Viator Voice

Filed under Entertainment

Dead men make no sequels

Art by Joanne Jun

Art by Joanne Jun

Art by Joanne Jun

He survived the curse of the Black Pearl, saw dead man’s chest, fought at world’s end, sailed on stranger tides and now the witty and mischievous pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow is back with another adventure in “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”. The amazing Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack, and the even more amazing Geoffrey Rush returns as Barbossa, along with Orlando Bloom as Will Turner and Javier Bardem as the ghost pirate Captain Salazar.

The main objective for this part is to get to the Trident of Poseidon before anyone else, Jack will use it to save his own skin as usual, Captain Salazar will use it against Jack and Henry will use it to release Will Turner from Davy Jones curse.

I’m personally a big fan of “Pirates of the Caribbean”, so I’m excited for the new one. Although the fourth movie made a few mistakes, such as being lazy with the villain, Black Beard, in the other films the writers came up with creative villains like Barbossa and Davy Jones. Another mistake was not having Will Turner or Elizabeth Swan tie into the film; their story had an amazing ending in “World’s End”, but it’s still not the same without them. One last mistake was not including the original crew mates, such as Pintel, Ragetti, Cotton and Marty.

All four movies were enjoyable, but making more than one sequel may not always be a good idea. It’s good to make a sequel, as long as it’s well made and ties into the original movie. There should not be a third, fourth or fifth, unless it follows a book series. For example, “Ice Age” went way too far. From three mammal friends taking care of a baby to a meltdown, dinosaurs, a continental drift and asteroids, you notice how the characters lose their meanings. As for “Shrek”, they should’ve stopped after “Shrek 2”, after that they made Shrek look more like a hero than an ogre. “Despicable Me” and “Cars” are making a third movie. “Despicable Me” should have  just ended after the second one. “Cars” should have just stood alone. Now, “Toy Story” and “The Incredibles” are making sequels, I’m looking forward to “The Incredibles”, but “Toy Story” should have stopped at three due to how well it ended.

In every ending of a “Pirates of the Caribbean” film, there’s an introduction to the next chapter of the series. For “Dead Man’s Chest”, they talk about going to world’s end to rescue Jack, bringing Barbossa back from the dead. In “World’s End” Jack looks at a trail to the Fountain of Youth. “Stranger Tides” ends with Jack and Gibbs finding a way to get the Black Pearl out of the bottle, so  a fifth movie had to be made for that very reason.

Overall, I can’t wait to take my seat in AMC South Barrington 30 Theaters on the opening day of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and watch in glory.

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Disney goes downhill

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Most vicious superhero has soft side

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Ed Sheeran comes out from hiding with hit album

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

The tale as old as time gets new look

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Artists freed from the fetters of labels

• Entertainment

Friday Double Feature: So bad it’s good

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Best Picture 2016

• Entertainment

Friday Double Feature: Directorial Debuts

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

In defense of ‘The Great Wall’

• Dead men make no sequels

Entertainment

Horror? More like horrible

Dead men make no sequels