True uniform colors

Students add flair to khakis and polos

Newspaper

Art by Kayla Johnson

Even though Saint Viator has a uniform, many students find ways to express themselves within school rules by adding their own personal touches to their uniforms. From colored long sleeves under short-sleeve polos to a simple necklace, students have discovered their own ways to make their uniforms unique.

Senior Bria Wallen incorporates her own style into her uniform by wearing colorful shirts under her polos.

“I wear different long sleeve shirts underneath my polo so I can stay warm in the winter,” said Wallen. “I also wear colorful or patterned socks everyday based on my polo or undershirt.”

Junior Meghan Fleming also expresses her personality through colored headbands, different shoes and shirts under her polo.

“Personally I will choose different shoes or wear different athletic or comfortable socks,” said Fleming. “I also think being able to wear jewelry helps to create you own individual style.”

Fleming also mentioned that students can change aspects of their uniform to change the way they present themselves. Having different options to add your own personality gives students freedom while still complying with the rules of the uniform.

“It lets me be different from everyone else,” said Wallen. “I add my personal touch to my uniform to express my personality. I wear different socks to show that I’m a colorful, crazy person.”

Fleming also commented on the variety of polos that the school offers.

“The different styles and colors of polos help us to have respect with one another because we are all wearing the same thing, but we are still allowed to express ourselves to some extent,” said Fleming.

The students’ ability to accessorize their uniforms lets students have individuality while still representing the school.

“It allows the students to express who they are within the school limits and lets their fellow classmates see a different side of them,” said Wallen.

While students still must adhere to all uniform rules, they have the opportunity to creatively and uniquely express their personality by adding more color to their uniform. The opportunity, which many students take advantage of, gives them more freedom to show their true selves while still being united with their fellow students in their uniforms.